The Goodie Box
We’re really sorry to not be able to run the Goodie Box project for the Summer holidays. We hope this does not cause too much disappointment. We have included some info below we hope your family will find useful for the holidays
• Goodie Box Recipes: All the previous recipes are uploaded online here. Watch out for some new recipes during the holidays which you might like to try!
• Recycle Devon Recipe Book: Have a look at this fantastic book for tips and recipes to help you reduce food waste
• Cooking on a Bootstrap: Recipes and tips for thrifty chefs from Jack Monroe at www.cookingonabootstrap.com
• Change4Life Cook Together: Sign up at cooktogether.change4life.co.uk to be sent 2 tasty, healthy recipes each week for 4 weeks, with easy to follow instructions and shopping lists.
• Full Time Meals: Pocket friendly, easy recipes for tasty, filling, hearty home cooked grub. Go to the website or follow them on social media for a new recipe each week @FullTimeMeals
Healthy Start – Free fruit, veg, milk and vitamins
Did you know you could be eligible for free milk, fruit, vegetables and vitamins? It is open to eligible pregnant or breastfeeding mothers, and parents of children aged under 4. To see if you qualify, visit www.healthystart.nhs.uk or text our Public Health Nurse CHAT Health line on 07520 631721.
Applying is easy: You can download the application form online or call the Healthy Start helpline on 0345 607 6823 to order one in the post.
Activities and support
• Disney 10 Minute Shake Up games
Visit the Change4Life website for new play-along games inspired by some of the characters in some of the most popular kids films, including Frozen, Toy Story and Marvel. Some great ideas to get the family moving and having fun.
• Eat Seasonably
Visit the website to learn what food is in season and get tips on what is good to grow now, including step by step growing guides. You don’t need to have a big garden – just a windowsill or patio can yield a great crop which the family can enjoy together!
• Veg Power Activity sheets
Downloadable Eat Them to Defeat Them activities here, including colouring and paper based fun activities.
• Natural Resources Health and Wellbeing
Activities and games to promote physical activity, connection with nature and mental wellbeing. Available here.
• Craft and Activities for 0-4 year olds
Ideas from Small Steps Big Changes to do with your toddler are here, including crafts, play and cooking.
• BBC Tiny Happy People
This website has simple activities and play ideas for babies and young children, along with information about their early development.
Food Support Available in Devon
• Holiday Activities and Food (HAF) Programme
Devon County Council’s HAF programme will provide funding for local enriching activities which include healthy food during the Summer holidays for children aged 4-16 receiving benefits related free school meals. Find out more here, including how to book a space. If you do not receive free school meals but are in financial difficulty and would benefit from this support over Summer, do get in touch with your local provider anyway, to see if they are able to help.
• Free School Meals – vouchers during holidays
Families who receive free school meals will be sent supermarket vouchers to buy food over the Summer holidays. See more information here. You may be eligible for free school meals if your family receives one of the qualifying benefits. If you think you might be eligible, you can apply through the Devon Citizens Portal. This is the quickest and easiest way to apply and will result in you getting an instant decision.
• Food Banks and Community Larders
Go to www.pinpointdevon.co.uk to search for Foodbanks or Community Larders in your area.
• Community Insights Team
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for general signposting to services in your area, including those offering emergency food support, fuel top-ups, debt advice and more.
• COVID-19 Hardship Grants
District councils in Devon are providing small emergency grants to people in financial hardship as a result of COVID-19. Visit this website for links to your local council grant information and other financial support available.
Best wishes for a happy summer holiday,
The Goodie Box Team